The hospital visit…

All right, so I “manned up” to the pain and dealt with it. No tears, no screaming, no gasping…in fact, somewhat calmness. Freaking out wouldn’t help anything, so why freak out? It’s a done deal and there’s no “command + Z”-ing it.

I really wanted to play volleyball and basketball, but I didn’t get the chance to. I stood watching, holding the ice to my pinky, hoping the pain would stop so that I could play sports. Sad day… =/

A few hours passed and I went to rehearsal for the swing dance team for our performance that Thursday. Of course, something like this would happen 2 days before a performance! Just my luck… I went through all of rehearsal with a genuine smile on my face until my partners would accidentally grab too hard or accidentally hit my pinky. I didn’t have a splint on yet so anything that came into contact with the hand just made me close my eyes and breathe heavily. I kept dancing through the pain because that’s how I learned to perform. You keep going because the show must go on!

After rehearsal, two of my teammates took me to Hoag Hospital in Newport and we got  my hand checked out. I had a male nurse named Andrew. It seemed like he was new because he kept forgetting things and had to come to me, then leave again, then return, then leave, etc. This must’ve happened around 15 times!!! It was quite hilarious! He must’ve been super tired since I arrived around midnight and all of this occurred within 1 1/2 hours. I was taken to the back room to get an x-ray taken of my hand. The technician placed my pinky/hand into three positions with the last being the most painful. He told me to put all my fingers down except my pinky which he placed straighter than the swollen-ness and the pain allowed. I was taken back to the spot I was originally waiting and my friends were still there. I’m glad they weren’t asked to go back to the waiting room because I would’ve been so bored. The male nurse came back and began to wrap my hand…then took it off and re-wrapped it. This took more than a couple tries. The doctor came back to tell me what he saw in my x-rays and, apparently, I had a fractured proximal phalanges right at the knuckle that connects the pinky to the palm. Great. At the point, my pinky was super swollen and was turning blue. The splint was finished and I was given discharge papers to describe my injury, the splint, the cast I’d have to get, the follow-up doctor, and the medication…I got a prescription for VICODIN! I couldn’t believe it! I still haven’t gone to a pharmacy and I probably won’t at all. I don’t want to be “loopy” and I don’t want to get addicted. I’d rather take the least amount of drugs, so Advil is definitely my friend. 600mg every 4-6 hours is fine with me. Besides, the pain isn’t all that bad. It’s manageable.

My friends and I left the hospital around 1:30 AM. One friend left, but I was a bit hungry, so the other one took me to Jack In the Box. Nothing like a “nutritious,” late-night meal after an unnecessarily lengthy. hospital visit.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s